10/04/2010

Starfishes and seagulls

Often, I would fantasize about snorkeling in the clearest sea water with the most beautiful corals or scuba diving in my wedding gown and having pufferfishes as my witnesses.

On the contrary, I have never been a huge fan of the ocean and beaches, cos all I think about is the scorching sun and how I'll end up having a horrid tan and probably battling skin cancer when I get older. This explains my poor attendance in Sailing and a reason to hate it, haha.

So, I was just thinking of beaches in general today and decided to google on 'sand bottles', something which fascinate me as much as ships in bottles. Better known as, bottled sand art, it was originated from Petra, Jordon (I'm guessing it's one of those Arabian countries) where multicolored sand rocks were a form of inspiration for such masterpieces.

The camel design (which is my favorite of the lot) was created in the late 1940s and a wonderful tourist who shared the same fascination as me, brought it to England. From there, new and creative designs were born and brought to various countries across the globe though they remained as 'Pedra's treasures'.

Then, I came across this paragraph and found it pretty amusing..

"Moving sand art out of its homeland means intuitively that it has to adapt to new environs. A camel would look silly in Switzerland but a reindeer would blend nicely so the reindeer design was born in Switzerland. The dolphin and the palm tree were born in Devon, England.

In Italy, customers were more challenging.. they wanted to see a Picasso in sand art!"

Curious, I went to google for Picasso in sand art and I found one.. but it's not as aesthetically appealing as the original camel ones so I refuse to put it here. Couldn't find any images of reindeer designs but I think they'll look equally stunning!

Now, I would really love to have one of these treasures at home. Hmm, trip to Pedra anyone?

P.S. For more sand art pictures, visit http://chicagosandart.blogspot.com/ and you'll probably join me for this trip. Haha, I'm just kidding. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment